Best Electric Skateboards For Beginners (2019-2020)
If you are thinking about buying an electric skateboard it helps to know what you are getting into. The more you are informed before you make the purchase, the happier you will likely be with it.
That being said, there are certain things to look out for. In this guide, we’ll help you prepare to buy yourself a good electric skateboard.
This page contains some affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll earn a commission, at no additional cost to you.
Top 5 Electric Skateboards For The Money
Last update on 2019-12-05 at 21:02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Electric vs Manual Skateboards
There are benefits to both electric and manual skateboards. The electric variety is actually better for your health. Riding one can help you build your muscles in your arms and legs. When you are moving on the skateboard you will breathe in fresher air than you would from walking. In turn, it improves or maintains the condition of your lungs and even your brain.
Skateboarding can also help you improve your flexibility. It also helps you develop a better sense of balance and improve your physical endurance.
Other benefits of an electric model include the ability to get to where you need to go without harming the environment. In other words, traveling on a skateboard is better for the earth and its air quality than driving a car is. The highest value brands allow you to move as fast as 22-miles per hour (35.41 km/h), making it an efficient form of transportation.
Another benefit of electric vs manual is that electric models are equipped with breaks. The break can be used by clicking the appropriate button on the remote. Stopping on a manual board is difficult to do and takes longer. On the other hand, the manual type doesn’t need to be charged, while the electric type does. Yet on uphill treks and the return trips back down, an electric skateboard makes for an easier ride.
If you truly can’t decide which type you would prefer, keep in mind that an electric skateboard can be used in the same way as a manual one can. Many brands of electronic skateboards can be used manually too. If you purchase one of these, it’s like having both types in one skateboard. At any time you can switch between electronic use and manual use.
What To Consider When Buying An Electric Skateboard
The way in which it performs is an important factor in your decision about purchasing one. There are many brands and several choices of models within each brand.
Some will naturally perform better than others.
One thing to look for in terms of performance is the skateboard with the best possible wheels. The better its wheels are the more sensations you will experience when using it.
In addition, keep in mind that while some electric skateboards have one wheel, others have four. The more wheels it has, the better the engine has to be.
Like anything else electronic, the skateboard needs to have a reliable battery. The cheaper the brand is, the less powerful the battery is likely to be.
If using the skateboard for long periods of time is appealing to you, you will want the model with the longest possible battery life. Each brand of skateboard has its own type of battery, so features are an important consideration.
Another consideration is the motor a particular model has. It will either be a belt-driven or a hub motor.
When they were first released in stores, electronic skateboards only had a motor that was belt-driven. Now that you have a choice between the two, you will likely prefer a belt-driven motor if you want to be able to customize your skateboard.
Hub motor based skateboards are generally the preference for those who aren’t technologically inclined, in part because they enable kick pushing. They are also quieter and lag less than belt-driven motors.
If you want a low maintenance skateboard, one with a hub motor is preferable.
Power and wattage is another aspect to consider. The lower the wattage, the less power a skateboard has.
A lower power model moves slower than a higher power model would. It also indicates a low torque, something that is limiting if you live in an area populated with steep inclines and frequent hills.
Since nothing lasts forever, it is also important to find out if the model you want has spare parts available for purchase if necessary. When you are making a long term investment this is a factor that should be taken into consideration.
And finally, electronic skateboards come with a remote control. Some models have a trigger you can control with your index finger, while others do not.
Those that don’t have a trigger require you to use your phone. It comes down to your personal preference between the two.
Our Favorite Electric Skateboards Reviewed
Now that you have recognized the different features of the electric skateboard, you will have to pick the right one that is aligned with your skating styles and preferences. Here are some of our top recommended electric skateboards on the market.
1. Boosted Stealth Electric Skateboard
The Boosted Stealth Electric Skateboard is the ideal choice if speed is important to you.
No matter how fast you go, your ride will always be smooth.
You can attribute this to its ability to absorb the vibrations of the board. Its other selling point is the 85-mm Stratus wheels, customized to help give you the best ride you can get.
- Get there faster with a 24 mph top speed and super responsive acceleration
- Climb a 25% grade with speed and ease
- 5 ride modes, including the all-new Hyper mode, exclusive to Boosted Stealth
- Super Flex composite deck retains the flex and feel for a super response ride
- Go up to 14 miles with the extended range battery.Power: 2,100 Watts
2. Teamgee H5 37" Electric Skateboard Longboard
When you plan on taking your skateboard with you wherever you go, you can’t go wrong with the Teamgee.
At only 14.6 pounds (6.62 kg) and 15 mm thick, it is more lightweight and portable than many other skateboards.
It’s built to give you a smooth ride with its deck closer to the ground than you would expect. The concave shape of the deck means that you can easily navigate turns while riding even at top speed.
It even has soft bushing so that when you do make a turn it is as comfortable and safe as possible.
- Ul certification E503354, 0. 59 inches thick, The thinnest E-skateboard; 3 inches off the ground provides stability and control.
- 37 inches longboard, 8. 7 inches wide, weighs 14. 5 pounds and can hold a maximum load of 200 pounds.
- Powered by high-performance 380W x 2 motors giving it a 9~11 miles range with a top speed of 22 MPH.
- Made from 10 ply Canadian Maple and 1 ply fiberglass, offers a medium flex for a smooth ride.
- Includes wireless remote control with LCD screen for changing speeds and directions, and reversing.
3. Boosted Mini X Electric Skateboard
The more you’re on the move, the more you will appreciate the Boosted Mini X Skateboard.
This 29-inch long board is always easy to transport. The composite deck, custom-designed for this board, make it wide enough to stand on comfortably and to use it safely.
It is shaped to give you the ultimate level of control over it when you are in motion. The design of its kick tail lets you quickly pivot even in the tightest of spaces.
Its acceleration rate is so powerful and smooth every ride you take on it will be a memorable one.
- Exhilarating top speeds of 20 mph gets you there faster
- Climb the steepest hills of your commute without breaking a sweat
- 3 ride modes specifically tuned to the Boosted mini. Brakes- Regenerative Brakes.Power- 1,000 Watts
- Deep dish composite deck keeps you Locked in. App – iOS and Android
- Go up to 14 miles with the extended range battery. Charge Time-1 hour 45 minutes
- Wheels Boosted Lunar 80mm for super smooth roll. Dimensions Mini X – 11.0 in (W), 29.5 in (L), 5.7 in (H)
4. Alouette Phoenix Riders Electric Skateboard Dual Motors
The Alouette Phoenix Riders Electric Skateboard is one of the dual-motor skateboards on the market.
Its cruise control lets you set the speed of your ride and the dual-motor means that you can travel at speeds of as much as 16mph.
Its curved panel and bamboo material means that your ride will be as smooth as you want it to be.
- Cruise Control – The Electric Longboard comes with fixed speed cruise mode. When you are keeping on a specific speed and pressing the LED, the board will maintain a selected current speed without the use of the accelerator.
- High Performance – Equipped with dual motors, its running speed goes up to 16 MPH. It’s perfect for the beginners and riders who prefer to the stable speed. The board can go for a max range up to 12.4 miles on one charge.
- Solid and Stable – Our powered skateboard is made with 6 layers of northeast maple and 1 bamboo which is ergonomic design and convenient for user to ride the skateboard smoothly with a curved panel.
- LCD Screen Remote – The remote has a LCD screen display to show the speed mode, range, battery capacity, direction and remote capacity. With curvy design, you can hold the remote naturally and securely.